This diverse opportunity will see you liaise with a range of clients, port users, contractors, suppliers and representatives of the local shipping industry.
About Flinders Port Holdings
Flinders Port Holdings is South Australia’s leading port services group, and owner of Flinders Ports, Flinders Logistics and Flinders Adelaide Container Terminal – the State’s only container operator. They also provide Hydrographic survey services through HydroSurvey Australia, a division of their ports business, Flinders Ports.
The Group is diverse and is committed to delivering the highest quality port and port related services including pilotage, mooring, launch services, port infrastructure, shipping infrastructure management, land infrastructure management, survey and marine control, stevedoring and logistics operations.
The Operations Manager, Port Pirie is responsible for the general operation of the Port Pirie office and effective management of the Marine Services Staff including providing services to vessels and cargo operators and identifying maintenance related issues in Port Pirie, Wallaroo and Port Giles in accordance with documented procedures and standards.
Reporting to the General Manager Flinders Ports and leading a team to include launch crews and a mix of permanent and casual staff, the successful candidate will also act as a liaison with the Infrastructure Department to ensure that maintenance risks and projects do not compromise shipping operations and act as a Superintendent’s Representative/Project Manager for some projects including a range of reporting obligations will also be a part of this role.
- Administer business operations at a site level including recoding of business activities, customer interactions and planning of workforce related activities;
- Implement on-going plans and programmes for significant business policy, direction and strategy as directed by the General Manager;
- Plan and implement business unit level objectives within corporate goals;
- Implement, co-ordinate and deliver organisational programmes to achieve agreed objectives;
- Ensure that the Port Pirie office is managed in accordance with documented procedures including timely production of ship’s accounts, timesheets and other administrative documentation including any data collection and statistical reports;
- Ensure that compliance with WHS, Quality, Maritime Security and Environmental systems in Port Pirie, Wallaroo and Port Giles is maintained to the highest standards. Participate proactively in audits, emergency exercises and reviews to assist the General Manager Flinders Ports and the General Manager Human Resources & Risk in these areas of responsibility;
- Write reports as requested on maintenance, risk, operational or staff management issues;
- Identify maintenance related tasks required for Port Pirie, Wallaroo and Port Giles and make recommendations to the General Manager Flinders Ports for projects requiring attention, specifically those that pose a risk to shipping operations. Liaise with the Infrastructure Department for progress reporting on any maintenance activities that are underway in these ports;
- Provide relief for other Operations Managers in regional ports as requested for leave periods if necessary;
- Effectively manage all staffing issues in Port Pirie, Wallaroo and Port Giles for the Marine Services personnel at these locations including casual employees.
Key indicators will be:
- Casual budget costs
- Performance management issues
- Fatigue management
- Customer feedback
- Provide supervision to mooring personnel in order to provide a safe and efficient operation whilst mooring and unmooring ships at Port Pirie and from time to time other regional ports if required to do so;
- Recruit, train, assess and sign off casual mooring personnel;
- Assist the Vessel Scheduler as necessary in formulating the daily shipping program for Port Pirie, Wallaroo and Port Giles and other ports as necessary taking into account the most effective and efficient use of resources;
- Act as a first response coordinator for port emergencies in Port Pirie, Wallaroo and Port Giles or other regional ports as directed;
- Assist the Marine Services Superintendent with management of Pilot Launch slipping;
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Detailed knowledge of company policy, organisational procedures and practices; application of a high level of discipline knowledge; of shipping operations and general port requirements
- Experience working in a multi-skilled work team
- Experience in supervising staff and managing performance issues and also supervising general contractors
- Experience with computer systems and Microsoft applications
- Experience in providing superior customer service
- Experience in coordinating a wide range of tasks simultaneously
- Experience in general maintenance activities
- Sound interpersonal skills which will enable the incumbent to work successfully with a broad range of people.
- Ability to write clear, concise reports and to follow through with projects until completion.
- Ability to plan and organise the work of the section to meet the needs of the Company.
- Good communication skills both written and verbal.
- Qualifications up to Diploma level in a business or operational discipline
- Radio Telephony Certificate
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Senior First Aid Certificate
- Frontline Management or similar qualifications
- Knowledge of various Acts and Legislation to include Dangerous Substances Act, WHS legislation and Harbours and Navigation Act and Regulations, 1993
- Regional Port Infrastructure Assets.
- In Port Operations including Shipping and Cargo handling.
- Conducting investigations and report preparation.
- In construction and maintenance of wharves and jetties
- Experience in working out of normal hours in diverse weather conditions
- Project Management experience
- Risk and Hazard management training
Your expertise supervising staff, coordinating 24/7 rosters, managing performance, and most importantly developing teams will be essential to the success of this position. To perform effectively in this senior role, managing projects, computer literacy and high-level oral and written communication skills are expected. Your ability to set priorities and meet tight deadlines with a customer-focused approach is essential.
It is anticipated that you hold relevant tertiary qualifications and a current drivers licence and if deemed to be the successful candidate assistance will be provided to obtain other certifications including radio telephony, senior first aid and maritime security identification card.
Working Hours and Salary
Reasonable additional hours may be required without additional remuneration (excluding on call requirements for shipping purposes)
The salary offered is aligned to the Flinders Port and Flinders Port Management Services Enterprise Agreement, 2015-2018 and will also include a consolidated shipping allowance.
The consolidated shipping allowance includes all additional allowances however, additionally Superannuation of 12.5% is paid to the total salary and allowance package.
Relocation assistance is offered for to the successful candidate if intrastate/ interstate.
If you want to work within a unique and rapidly growing organisation that delivers results you will thrive in this environment. Please follow the prompts to apply!
Applications Close: 1700 Wednesday 5th September
Part of the recruitment process will include a medical assessment including a drug and alcohol test.
A National Police Check (issued within the past 6 months) is also required to progress your application.
For more information or a confidential discussion please contact Angie Geldenhuys from Harrison McMillan on 08 7071 7273.
All resumes to be submitted in Word format if possible.
With respect, no recruitment agencies please.