The engineering market in South Australia is extremely tight. FMG originally engaged with Harrison McMillan to spend 10 hours to conduct a market scan for professionals in the Civil Engineering space in Adelaide.
After seeing the results of the market mapping exercise FMG engaged Harrison McMillan utilising the outsourced recruitment hourly charge rate service on a full end to end recruitment process to fill a Civil Team Leader role, and at a later date a Structural Manager, both influential and extremely critical roles for the business.
The Client: FMG Engineering
FMG Engineering is a well-established engineering consultancy which has earned a reputation as a highly respected group of specialists. Locally founded and operating across the Australian eastern seaboard, this organisation has reaped the rewards of continuing success due to their high quality design and technical delivery of their services.
Harrison McMillan’s Solution
Both the Civil Team Leader and Structural Manager are skill sets which are not plentiful in the Adelaide market. FMG took advantage of the flexibility of the hourly rate model and could add additional hours to tasks such as strategic sourcing which were much more applicable to these types of roles. Below is the general process which was followed for both positions:
- Dani Bieg and Rochelle White met with FMG directly to understand the barriers that FMG had encountered previously and what processes Harrison McMillan could instil to ensure we overcame these barriers.
- Thorough market mapping exercise using the Harrison McMillan database, SEEK database, LinkedIn Recruiter and referrals.
- The market IP was delivered to FMG for review before reaching out to candidates.
- In parallel to the market mapping, a marketing campaign including an advertisement on SEEK, LinkedIn and the Harrison McMillan website was ran.
- Direct approach of the candidates as highlighted by FMG from the market mapping was then actioned.
- A shortlist was generated and delivered to FMG with a combination of actively sourced candidates and received applications via the advertisements.
Civil Team Leader:
- A shortlist of four strong candidates was presented to FMG. Three of the four candidates were strategically sourced using one of the many digital platforms utilised by Harrison McMillan.
- The decision between the top two candidates was tough and FMG engaged Harrison McMillan to complete behavioural profile testing and reference checks to aid the process.
- The successful applicant was appointed after an eight week recruitment process.
- This role required extensive sourcing and research as the professionals in this space were hard to source, contact and follow up with.
- A shortlist of three was presented to FMG of which two of the three candidates were actively sourced from LinkedIn Recruiter.
- All three candidates were interviewed and a stand out candidate was chosen to progress through to psychometric testing and an extensive referencing process.
- After twelve weeks from the initial brief the role was successfully placed.
Compared to the specialist recruiters which operate in this industry sector who charge anywhere between 15-22% of the candidate’s salary package, FMG were able to save at least $8000.00 for the placement of the Civil Team Leader and approximately $14,000.00 + GST for the placement of the Structural Manager by taking advantage of the hourly charge rates rather than fee for placement.
Harrison McMillan’s Key Project Personnel
Dani Bieg – Director – Dani has been working closely with FMG’s senior management team, providing her expert knowledge with over nine years of recruitment and human resource experience. Throughout the recruitment drive for the positions with FMG, Dani oversaw the timely delivery of promised outcomes and worked to ensure the high standard of work delivered.
Rochelle White – Recruitment Partner – Rochelle was the primary Recruitment Partner on these assignments and prides herself on her ability to deliver high quality outcomes to her clients, whilst maintaining excellent customer service and communication to both clients and candidates alike. Rochelle took ownership of Account Managing FMG where she was able to maintain communication with the client and candidates to ensure timely and consistent feedback on the assignments was reached to all involved. She was also responsible for ensuring deadlines and budgetary requirements were met as instructed by FMG.