The City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters engaged Harrison McMillan in a part recruitment process to shortlist multiple candidates for several vacancies within their customer service team.
The City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters is located just five minutes’ drive from Adelaide’s Central Business District and enjoys the reputation as one of Adelaide’s most desirable places to live, work and visit. Well known for its cultural diversity, vibrant cosmopolitan atmosphere and easy-going lifestyle, the City is progressive with a strong community spirit. The City values their employees by offering an extensive Employee Wellbeing Program and fostering an inclusive and supportive team environment.
Harrison McMillan’s Solution
Harrison McMillan planned a meeting with two Hiring Managers at the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters to gain a solid understanding of the role requirements and how Harrison McMillan would be able to assist. A face to face meeting was preferred by the client due to the multiple stakeholders present within the meeting and they also wished to discuss the recruitment strategy further with us.
The Hiring Managers decided to engage Harrison McMillan in a part process tailored to their needs and budget which included; creating an advertisement, reviewing all applications, conducting detailed telephone interviews and taking advantage of our state of the art pre-recorded video technology. By using our leading technology enabled us to narrow down the advertisement response to a suitable shortlist which were invited to interview with the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters.
As the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters opted for a part process they opted to run their own interviews, reference checks and offer negotiation process. Harrison McMillan followed the below process to reach an outcome:
- Developed a targeted advertisement to attract top talent in the customer service market, with specific questions included in the application process to ensure that candidates employment preference was considered from the beginning of the process.
- Advertised both internally and externally through the Council website, Seek, Harrison McMillan website and Harrison McMillan social media channels.
- Managed the high volume of candidate advertisement response (250 plus applicants) and assessed the applications received against the key requirements communicated by the client.
- Managed the high volume of candidate enquiries via phone and email to reduce the candidate management and administration time.
- Collated all information and submitted a longlist to the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters, highlighting the most suited candidates and providing a recommendation to progress those candidates to video interview assessment as the second step of assessment.
- Video interviews were sent to 16 candidates to assess their communication skills, a key part of the selection criteria. This enabled Harrison McMillan to easily identify candidates to progress to telephone interview.
- Once a candidate was identified as suitable to progress the candidates were immediately booked for telephone interview with Harrison McMillan, to maintain the speed of the process. Telephone interviews included Harrison McMillan addressing the key selection criteria, fit with company values and alignment with their team culture.
- Presented a final shortlist to the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters through a structured matrix, which detailed the phone interview notes and link to the pre-recorded video interviews. Harrison McMillan provided a recommendation of 7 candidates to progress to interview and held a detailed phone conversation with the client to introduce them to each candidate.
- City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters contacted their top 5 preferred candidates from the shortlist to offer an interview, and progressed to face to face interview with these candidates. The client took over the recruitment process from this stage.
- Harrison McMillan notified candidates who were unsuccessful in progressing to interview stage the outcome of their application.
The total time that the tailored process took was approximately 17 hours spread out across 10 business days.
Harrison McMillan were able to shortlist 7 candidates out of 250 plus applications in a fast and effective manner, presenting only the best candidates who demonstrated the key selection criteria required. The City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters were able to select 5 preferred candidates to take through to interview within 10 business days. Following the client’s progression of the recruitment process, the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters were faced with an ideal situation of hiring one full time employee and one part time employee to join the council’s customer service team.
The cost of this project was $2850.00 plus GST. If the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters had engaged with an agency on the ‘traditional’ model of charging a % placement fee (approximately 15%) based on the annual salary of the candidate who was selected, it would have cost them around $9690.00 plus GST per hire. As they were seeking to hire two customer service representatives this would have cost a total of $19,380.00 plus GST.
By partnering with Harrison McMillan on our flexible, Pay-As-You-Go recruitment solution, this resulted in a saving of $16,530.00 plus GST!
Key Benefits of Using the Harrison McMillan Model
Harrison McMillan’s Pay-As-You-Go-service enabled the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters the opportunity to pick and choose the recruitment services required for the customer service recruitment project. This allowed the client the ability to tailor a service that suited their requirements, saving money on their recruitment budget, as well as reducing their time spent on facilitating the process in-house.
The City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters also had access to a matrix with a high volume of candidates rated through Harrison McMillan’s 3 tier (traffic light) rating system, including assessment notes and recommendations which mapped the market of active candidates. This intellectual property belongs to the client and they are able to refer to this information at any time. Therefore, if an additional requirement were to arise, the client is able to revisit the matrix, and access the candidates contact details and resumes to reach out to them about future career opportunities at no additional cost.
Harrison McMillan’s Key Project Personnel
Dani Bieg – Director – Dani has been working closely with City of Norwood Payneham and St Peter’s management, providing her expert knowledge with over nine years of recruitment and human resource experience. Throughout the recruitment drive for the positions with the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters, Dani oversaw the timely delivery of promised outcomes and worked to ensure the high standard of work delivered.
Rochelle White – Recruitment Partner – Rochelle was the primary Recruitment Partner on this assignment and prides herself on her ability to deliver high quality outcomes to her clients, whilst maintaining excellent customer service and communication to both clients and candidates alike. Rochelle took ownership of Account Managing City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters where she was able to maintain communication with the client to ensure timely and consistent feedback on the assignments was reached to all involved. She was also responsible for ensuring deadlines and budgetary requirements were met as instructed by the City of Norwood Payneham and St Peters.
Paige Folland – Recruitment Partner – Paige is a degree qualified HR professional and possesses several years’ experience in customer-focused positions. Paige was an additional Recruitment Partner on these assignments and leveraged her extensive administration experience and HR knowledge to deliver on all recruitment process tasks and coordinate excellent candidate management, as well as ensuring quality work was produced for our clients throughout the entire recruitment process.