In 2018, Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) were in the process of transitioning their Network Control Centre in NSW from Newcastle to Junee, creating 11 Trainee Network Controller positions that they needed filled in the regional town. ARTC engaged Harrison McMillan to assist in the recruitment of the 11 positions in September of 2018, with offers to be made in November. These Network Controller roles operate on a shift roster, working in high pressure and safety-oriented environments, and requires incumbents to possess a strong attention to detail and aptitude.
Australian Rail Track Corporation (ARTC) manage and maintain over 8,500 km of rail network across 5 different states, providing access to 7 key ports around Australia. With 1,150 employees nationally ARTC provide rail access for hundreds of freight and passenger trains every day in addition to providing a greener transport and freight option for Australia.
Harrison McMillan’s Solution
Harrison McMillan’s Pay-As-You-Go model allowed ARTC the flexibility to choose only the recruitment services they required specific to these roles. Providing ARTC with access to our latest technologies, processes and recruitment expertise meant Harrison McMillan were able to dramatically reduce the time and costs spent in repeating the same exercise for multiple hires, which ARTC would normally incur had they engaged a traditional recruitment agency.
Due to the high volume of applications expected for a role like this, ARTC selected to go though Harrison McMillan so that we could handle the large amounts of administration and candidate management required in order to run an efficient end to end process.
Operating as an extension of ARTC’s internal recruitment team, Harrison McMillan interacted directly with candidates and hiring managers ensuing a fully transparent partnership with ARTC. Our access to the latest technology and our recruitment expertise also provded up to the minute updates for ARTC and candidates at the click of a button, regardless of their location. This meant Harrison McMillan was able to run a smooth and succinct recruitment process from Adelaide, with candidates in Regional NSW.
- Jodi Walton, Angie Geldenhuys and Rachelle Delaporte had an initial meeting with ARTC in their Adelaide Offices with the HR Advisor and teleconference with the Project Manager – Operations Services.
- Harrison McMillian worked in conjunction with ARTC, who posted the ad through their own systems to reach multiple job boards – as requested by ARTC. They also conducted a targeted advertising campaign including social media, radio, online ad boards and local newspapers.
- Recruitment services utilised by ARTC included: developing recruitment process templates, application response emails, assessment of applications, phone and video interviews, job aptitude and suitability testing, coordination of face-to-face interviews and medical assessments, redirection of unsuccessful candidates, administration and both candidate and project management.
- ARTC elected to video interview 71 candidates, of which 62 progressed to phone interviews. ARTC also elected to have these candidates complete job aptitude and suitability testing through Harrison McMillan as part of their process.
- This process was completed on the 25th of September 2018, 6 business days after applications closed.
- ARTC selected their top 20 candidates to progress to face-to-face interviews on the 3rd and 4th of October 2018. From these, 12 candidates were progressed to medical and pre-employment checks.
ARTC elected to offer 11 candidates the Trainee Network Controller position. The entire fee including job assessment testing totalled $26,663.77.
This is the equivalent of $2,423.79 per placed candidate.
If ARTC had elected to work with a traditional recruitment agency they would have been paying upwards of $10,800 per candidate.
By partnering with Harrison McMillan, ARTC could expect combined savings of approximately $92,136.23 compared to fees normally charged by a traditional recruitment agency (where you are charged a percentage fee on the candidate’s salary package – Usually 12% or more!)
Harrison McMillan’s Key Personnel
Rachelle Delaporte – Recruitment Partner
Rachelle is a graduate of Commerce and Communication, who has been with Harrison McMillan for 12 months and has several years’ experience in customer-focused positions. Rachelle was the primary Recruitment Partner on this project, coordinating the recruitment process and timelines, ensuring timely candidate management throughout the process.
Angie Geldenhuys – Lead Recruitment Partner
Angie is an experienced HR Professional, with experience across multiple functions and industries. Angie was responsible for ensuring a high standard of work was delivered on time and on budget, as well as providing expert advice and creating a streamlined process.
Jodi Walton – Managing Director
Jodi has over 20 years of recruitment and human resources experience and is known for her calm, professional and people-oriented approach to consulting. Jodi played an integral role as the Account Manager and oversaw the timely delivery of promised outcomes and time frames, as well as coordinating the Harrison McMillan team members assigned to each recruitment task.
As Harrison McMillan act as an internal recruitment team available on demand, additional Recruitment Partners were also involved in running some recruitment process tasks.